National Network for Children announced a contest for an architectural project for the construction of House of Children in Sofia. The contest is open to all architects and architectural studios in Bulgaria. The project is initiated and assigned by the National Network for Children.
The task is to develop a concept for a national center for training, education and advocacy on children’s rights. The aim of the project is a recognizable place for events, training and meetings, related to the rights of children, the family and young people.
House of Children should combine a modern and attractive vision with functionality and energy efficiency.
The projects will be judged by a jury of the following experts:
- Mincho Benov – National Director of Habitat for Humanity –a global non-profit organization working on improvement of living conditions, a member of the National Network for Children;
- arch. Anna Kalinova – Children’s Architectural Workshop;
- Lyuben Georgiev – Member of the Board of the National Network for Children and Chairman of Re-act Association – Sofia;
- Valentin Saykov – Manager of Imoti Ltd., founder of the National Real Estate Association (NRNI) and of the International Real Estate Federation in Bulgaria;
- arch. Ivan Genov – Chief Inspector at the Ministry of Culture;
- arch. Nikolay Traykov – Design and Construction Manager at America for Bulgaria Foundation, actively involved in the construction of the Museum for kids “Muzeiko”;
- Eng. Vesel Chushkov – Building Engineer and Project Manager of the House of Children project;
- A young person between 14-18 years old from the youth network “Megafon”, part of National Network for Children
Deadline for submission of the projects for the first stage of the contest is April 22, 2019.
The evaluation of the applications and selection of the three finalists in the competition will be done until May 13, 2019.
The project House of Children started in 2016 when the National Network for Children bought a plot with the financial support of two international foundations – OAK and Velux. The land is located on the boulevard “Hristo Botev” and the street “Sofronii Vrachanski” close to the 46th Primary School “Konstantin Fotinov” in Sofia.
It is planned the first sod to be made in the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020, and construction works to be completed in about two years.
The project aims to create a contemporary place for events and training for children and specialists in childcare. The House will provide support for families and an active and growing environment for children of different groups, ages, family background and interests. It also will be a place for work and exchange of ideas of all 150 civil organizations, members of the Network, working for the well-being of Bulgarian children.
After being built, the House will be managed as a social enterprise and it would give sustainability in time and opportunity for young people coming out of institutions or foster care to work and train in labor skills.
If you are willing to support the House of Children project, you can donate via the web site of National Network for Children or become part of the campaign in the international platform Global Giving.