At the end of 2022, we look back and give a brief overview of the year’s challenges and successes.
What do we see? Heaps of work done: daily efforts 24/7, numerous meetings with politicians and institutions, dozens of opinions and positions, consultations and conversations, hundreds of media appearances, thousands of children and families supported, tons of donations, many battles won and successful campaigns.
We send off the year with satisfaction, but we do not forget that there are still many unsolved problems. Therefore, we are preparing for 2023 with energy, optimism and firm determination to bring the important battles for our children to a successful end.
Here are some highlights of our work in 2022:
- We have been supporting the children and families of Ukraine since the first days of the war: for six months, all individual donations to the Network were donated to two Ukrainian organizations. We have supported over 1,200 refugee children and families from Ukraine with counseling, materials and food.
- We have sent the governing and responsible institutions over 50 opinions and positions on topics related to children that are relevant for society.
- With the eleventh edition of our “Notebook” report, we gave the state a 3.18 rating for its care for children. More than 200 experts, children and families participated in “Notebook”creation.
- Worthy individuals and organizations have been widely promoted, thanks to our Golden Apple Awards for contribution to children’s lives.
- Over the next 7 years, hundreds of thousands of children at risk will receive early care, education, healthy nutrition and safe housing, thanks to the European Child Guarantee, developed for Bulgaria with the participation of National Network for Children.
- We helped the families from the flooded villages in Karlovsko with food and hygiene materials.
- Over 20 thousand liters of detergents and more than 6 tons of washing powder were distributed to hundreds of families across the country, thanks to our partnership with Fikosota.
- As a result of a long-standing campaign by National Network for Children and other organizations, the state provided adequate follow-up for pregnant women without health insurance.
- 36 members of parliament from the 48th National Assembly pledged to be defenders of children and joined our Parliamentary Group for Children.
- We continue the fight with the state to preserve the children’s telephone line 116 111 and the Safe Internet Center, so that children can receive support in difficult situations for them.
- For the last 5 years we have been demanding that an analysis should be made for the construction of a National Children’s Hospital. Finally there is a political solution to this. We made it!
- People are dying of hunger in Bulgaria because they cannot afford expensive medical food. We are actively working for the authorities to ensure access through the National Health Insurance Fund for all people in need.
- And in 2022 we worked with children and youth, engaging over 200 of them in our Voice It events, children’s camps and other Network activities.
- Our Legal Aid Network has brought together 19 lawyers and legal professionals working for better legislation for children and families.
- We stood up to gambling ads by uniting the public with a petition and making the gambling business and the state think and work to regulate this content that is harmful to our children.
- Our Child Friendly Company certificate has become a recognizable symbol of corporate social responsibility and new companies have received the authoritative recognition.
- The tax relief for parents of children under 18, which we have been advocating for years, has been seriously increased.
- Over 2,000 children and young people received their dream book for Christmas from generous magicians from all over Bulgaria through our campaign “A child is waiting for magic. Become a wizard – give him a book!’
- In 2022, hundreds of people joined our cause by becoming donors. Thanks for your support! Let’s continue the fight together for a better country for our children – become a monthly donor at nmd.bg/dari
Thanks to everyone who supported us during the year, we continue together!