About the House of Children
The House of Children will provide an active and growing environment for children of different groups, ages, families and interests. This will be a new, modern, contemporary House for Children from across the country – permanent and accessible place where children and adults will learn and work together for children’s rights and well-being.
It will be a place for events which will provide space and opportunities for parents who believe in their children and for people who want to work with and help to other children. The House will be also a center for training and development of skills that will be required of our children when they grow up and become adults.
The House of Children will be a nest for future heroes.
When it’s built it will be run as a social enterprise and will provide stability over time and will give opportunities for young people from institutions and foster care to be employed and trained in work and professional skills.
How we imagine it physically?
The House will be spacious and built so that it meets all requirements for child-friendly environment. It will has three floors and each of them will provide enough space and mobility for various activities.
It will have: rooms for events and interactive activities, rooms for meetings, workshops and discussions, offices to administer the activities of the House of Children and the National Network for Children, kitchen and cafeteria which will serve the events with catering and a small hostel. All these will ensure sustainability of the House as a social enterprise.
The House will have a courtyard with outdoor sport and children’s facilities.
The estimated built-up area of the House will be about 2000 square meters.
Who will use the House?
- Children and young people from across the country, regardless of age, origin, social status and health;
- Young people coming out of institutions and foster care, which will acquire work experience and skills as employees for different activities and participants in the House’s management as a social enterprise;
- Parents and families;
- Community of the National Network for Children uniting more than 130 organizations working with and for children across Bulgaria.
At what stage is the project now?
The funds for the purchase of the land are available thanks to two donor organizations – OAK Foundation and Velux Foundation. Finances for the construction is also partly provided.
The plot of the House is located in the center of Sofia, “Hristo Botev” blvd. between “Slivnitsa” and “Tzar Simeon” streets. The size of the plot is 870 square meters.
We will conduct a public competition for the architectural concept and design of the House of Children in the late autumn of 2016.
By the end of 2016 we will select the Architect studio which will implement the architectural plan/ design of the House.
We expect to turn the first sod in the spring of 2017.
The House of Children building should be finished by the end of 2018.
What lies ahead for the rest of 2016?
1. Preliminary/ Conceptual project – in order to choose the best architectural idea for the House of Children we will organize a broad public competition for the conceptual design. This includes preparation of terms of reference and developing of a website for the competition. We will do this in partnership with the professional architectural community “Transformers“. The competition will be widely announced in architectural circles and among the wide audience in Bulgaria. During the entire process children who are volunteers in the NNC’s member organizations and at-risk children will be involved to participate and consult the choice of a child friendly design and facilities of the House.
2. Preparation of architectural project to turn the idea into an architectural plan including all required documentation, such as construction, plumbing, electricity, heating, fire safety and others. We expect the architectural studio, selected through the competition to cover pro-bono part of the cost of developing the project.
3. Providing all permits, which are mandatory part of the architectural design and start of the construction. These are mainly permits related to the approval of the technical and investment project line construction, permit for construction, surveying, landscaping and tracing plan; Plan for Safety and Health and others.
4. Provision of the first and most necessary part of the materials for the start of construction (concrete foundations and formwork). For the first sod we will launch a new campaign to raise funds that will be directed towards completion and equipping of the House of Children.
The long-term plan
2016: Purchase of the land and conceptual project
Until December 2016: Visas for construction and architectural plan
Until December 2017: Rough construction
Until December 2018: Finishing work
Until May 2018: Equipment, personnel training and start of the social enterprise
June 1, 2018: Opening of the House of Children
Why to donate?
Supporting the House of Children you help more than 130 NGOs working with and for children in Bulgaria, because as a social enterprise project that will allow the National Network for Children to:
- Provide stability and predictability in the organizations development;
- Builds effective community of organizations working across the country by providing them new opportunities and comfortable environment;
- Implement and manage their projects more financially independent. Currently, they are mainly financed by grants from foundations and donors. The social enterprise can contribute to sustainability of activities;
- Helping to reduce the administrative costs of the member organizations of the National Network for Children;
- Conducts seminars, training and professional exchanges of all NNC’s member organizations as well as with international partners EuroChild, ISSA and ChildPact.
There are projects and objectives, the achievement of which requires time, perseverance, faith and a lot of funds. The House of Children is such a project. It may seem ambitious for Bulgaria currently facing a lot of survival problems. But despite this, we have to believe and see the future of our country as a place of conscious and growing personalities and young leaders. And as a community we should work for this today.
Help us to lay the foundations. Donate to build a House of Children. Be the architect of the future!<< Back