Position Title: Social Worker – Safety Zone for Unaccompanied asylum-seeking children
Duty Station: Sofia, Bulgaria
Type of Appointment: Hourly contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 27th of March 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and
works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The
International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly
migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM
acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational
challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social
and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support
of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
As part of the project “Protection of vulnerable migrants and assisted voluntary return and
reintegration support”, and under the direct supervision of the Safety Zone Coordinator and overall
supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s Head of Mission and Protection & Project Development Officer, the
successful candidate will provide support/case management to unaccompanied asylum-seeking
children accommodated in the Safety Zone located within the Registration and Reception Centre
(RRC) Sofia – Voenna Rampa, managed by the State Agency for Refugees (SAR).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Work within a multidisciplinary team as a social worker that includes other IOM staff
(psychologists, legal counsellors, interpreters, cultural mediators, assisted voluntary return
and reintegration (AVRR) referral counsellors, etc.);
2. Ensure the case management for an assigned number of unaccompanied asylum-seeking
children (UASC) accommodated in the Safety Zone and closely follow up on their daily
routines in line with IOM standards;
3. In coordination with other IOM colleagues, providing specialized services in the Safety Zone,
identify specific vulnerabilities among UASC accommodated there and ensure appropriate
support and/or referral to relevant services;
4. Prepare case reports, follow-up with administrative tasks and project reporting and coordinate
the work with colleagues from other IOM programmes;
5. Keep all case management files updated and secured, in accordance with IOM Data
Protection Principles and protocols in place;
6. Coordinate the support/case management provided to the UASC with social experts from the
State Agency for Refugees (SAR) working in the registration and reception centre, as well as
other relevant institutions;
7. Assist UASC with all the necessary information to access relevant specialized care and/or
administrative services provided by other organizations/institutions;
8. Participate in multidisciplinary meetings with SAR social experts and representatives from
other organizations/institutions, as needed;
9. Strictly adhere to IOM’s Standards of Conduct and Policy for Prevention of Sexual
Exploitation and Abuse;
10. Perform any other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree – bachelor’s or higher in Social Work or a related field from an accredited
academic institution with two (2) years of relevant professional experience; or
• High school graduate with three (4) years of relevant professional experience.
• Previous experience in social work and/or case management with children/adolescents.
• Awareness of migrant and refugee issues, including the context in Bulgaria.
• Previous experience in working with unaccompanied asylum-seeking children is an
• Experience working in international and/or non-governmental organizations, or government
institutions in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills, personal commitment, efficiency and
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and difficult conditions.
• Demonstrated drafting, planning and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a team.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word, and comfort with learning new software.
Fluency in Bulgarian and English is required.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
• Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to IOM starting to
operate/manage the Safety Zone in the Registration and Reception Centre (RRC) Sofia – Voenna
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European
Format) in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the vacancy notice by the 27th of March 2019 at the
latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 12th to the 27th of March 2019