Director of Fundraising and Communications
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria.
Reporting to: National Executive Director and Regional Director of Fund Development and Communications (content wise).
Manages: Team of six-seven.
Annual salary: Competitive for the market.
Contract: One year project contract with an option to renew.
Background: SOS Children’s Villages Bulgaria www.sosbg.org started in 1990 and is a non-governmental social development organisation which helps children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education and health. The organisation also advocates for children’s rights. We are currently running 11 different programs (SOS Children’s Village communities, Family Strengthening and counselling centres, Family type placement centres amongst others) and we are a regular member of SOS Children’s Villages International www.sos-childrensvillages.org , a federation of over 134 SOS Children’s Villages associations worldwide.
In order to fully respond to the needs of the existing SOS programmes, an ambitious growth plan has been developed with a focus on furthering the sustainable development of programme work and considerable growth of local income in order to reach financial self-sufficiency in the coming years. Fundraising programmes in the corporate field and fundraising from individuals are areas to be further developed – focusing on new integrated campaigns using all channels possible, increasing the number of committed givers and the level of partnerships with companies, linking communications and fundraising.
Purpose of Role
This is a new position with a sharp focus on skills and expertise on Fundraising and Communication. The Head of Fundraising and Communications will have overall responsibility for building and strengthening corporate fundraising, fundraising from individuals and major donor fundraising – the three sources of income for SOS Children´s Villages Bulgaria. This will underpin a sound and sustainable financial basis and will be important to help achieve financial self-sufficiency in the next 5 to 6 years. This new role will facilitate access to new target groups via new fundraising channels in order to guarantee sustainable income for existing and future programmes. The incumbent will lead the fundraising team and support the CEO in managing major donor relationships.
As part of the National Management Team, a body making major strategic decisions that concern the whole Bulgarian SOS organisation, the post holder will also work on the development of strategy and practical implementation of actions to maximise effectiveness of overall fundraising income for the organisation in Bulgaria with the overall aim of diversifying and increasing the donor base.
This is a unique and exciting challenge as fundraising from individuals via online fundraising and face to face is relatively new in Bulgaria. This is a great opportunity to develop in the Bulgarian market.
The job holder will have the following key responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a strategic plan for SOS Children´s Villages Bulgaria;
- Oversee the individual giving fundraising programme;
- Develop and oversee relations with corporate donors;
- Develop and oversee relations with major donors;
- Ensure annual income targets are achieved and delivered within the agreed annual expenditure budget;
- Lead, manage and encourage staff to seek out permanent improvements to the fundraising programmes;
- Oversee the development, maintenance, updating and enhancement of all the fundraising communication messages order to maximise loyalty of donors for SOS Children´s Villages Bulgaria;
- Oversee the maintenance and improvement of the donor database;
- Promote and develop innovation into projects;
- Perform other responsibilities and functions as delegated by the National Executive Director in order to meet the level of the services in the organisation;
- Identify and take advantage of fundraising opportunities with an entrepreneurial spirit and not rely on brand awareness. Must proactively “sell” the cause of SOS Children’s villages Bulgaria.
- A proven track record of at least 3-5 years in leadership and management (leading a group of experts, being at a clear middle/senior management position);
- Proven track record of at least 3-5 years’ experience in fundraising or similar profession, i.e. in sales and direct marketing in a leading position either in the profit or not-for-profit sector;
- Experience in the use of online marketing and the use of social media;
- Proven market analysis skills;
- Proven competence in strategic planning, managing income and expenditure budgets;
- Track record in project-management.
- Ability to lead, motivate, mentor, coach and manage staff within the FR team;
- Ability to represent and be professionally comfortable with stakeholders at all different levels;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills both in Bulgarian and English;
- Results focused orientation;
- Ability to deal with the challenges of a complex international organization (SOS Children’s villages International) and the matrix structure;
- Self-motivated, determined, innovative and with a “can do” mentality;
- Ability to understand the language, needs and able to meet the needs and expectations of corporate donors;
- Strong social and networking skills;
- Good working knowledge and use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access);
- Strategic Planning and vision;
- Managing Resources;
- Analytical Thinking.
- University degree ideally in marketing and sales or business administration or fundraising;
- Driving license.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies
- Experience with high-level negotiations and management of partners and service providers;
- Understanding of donor/client relationship management software;
- Experience with major donor fundraising and corporate fundraising.
To apply for the post
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “SOS Bulgaria Director of Fundraising and Communications”in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is January 30th, 2015 GMT. Initial Skype interviews will take place the week beginning the 7th of February 2015.
Снимка: photl.com/Studio Cl Art