CONTEXT OF INTERVENTION
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other Medical care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
MdM France is present in Bulgaria since 2004, in the Roma neighborhood “Nadezhda” in Sliven. Through the years, the project evolved, and currently, under the “Environmental health” thematic, the project has two main medical components: “Sexual and reproductive health and rights” and “Mental health and psycho social support”.
The Mental Health and Psychosocial Support officer is in charge of defining and implementing psychosocial activities. She / He ensures the quality of these activities, according to MdM’s standards.
The MHPSS officer accompanies the team of community mobilizers in the conception and facilitation of the activities, monitors the activities, conducts individual interviews with beneficiaries (children and adults) to assess their needs and refers them to mental health professionals if needed. The MHPSS officer has to build up and maintain a network in the field of psychosocial and mental health in Sliven.
- Identify the needs of the community, teams and partners;
- Participate in the development and preparation of psychosocial activities and IEC (information communication and education) sessions on mental health topics targeting children, teenagers and women with the support of the Field Medical Advisor (or medical coordinator), Medico Social officer/ SRHR Officer Project manager, partners;
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for the activities of Community Mobilizers, like power point presentation, flyers, etc;
- Deliver training sessions for the Community Mobilizers (including in facilitating psychosocial activities, psychological self-support…);
- Accompany the Community Mobilizers’ team in the facilitation of the psychosocial activities and IEC sessions;
- Participate in the mapping of the actors, develop a network and set up a referral system for children and women in need of mental health support; If relevant, identify and propose to the mission potential new partnership;
- Accompany the team in the identification of children and women at risk;
- Conduct individual interviews and refer the beneficiaries (minors and adults) when needed;
- Monitor and update on new laws and regulations regarding mental health topics and situation in Bulgaria;
- Participate in meetings with local stake holders in Sliven (municipality, health structures, health professionals, NGO) on behalf of MdM, help in providing minutes and ensuring a follow up of the meeting;
- Maintain records, statistic and files updated, write monthly reports of the MHPSS activities
- Inform the Field Medical Officer and/or the General Coordinator
- Database (regular updates, inputs and broadcast of the information, management of the file)
- Contribute to long term planification and strategy on mental and psychosocial health topics.
- Respect the methodology and values of MdM, keep good level of quality and keep the confidentiality of the users and their cases.
The list of missions is not exhaustive and may be changed to reflect developments and specific needs.
Training & Experience
- State recognized psychologist diploma
- Experience in working with children and teenagers
- Experience in working with vulnerable populations, and/or with NGOs, and/or with Primary health care, and/or in public health or community health.
- Strong interest in psychosocial approach
- Strong ability to observe, analyse, report and take initiative
- Ability to work in good team spirit and autonomously
- Identify, analyse, prioritise, and summarise information relating to the field of activity
- Adapt communication to the audience
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work with pack Office 365
- English written and spoken, Romani or Turkish would be an asset
HIERARCHICAL AND FUNCTIONAL LINKS
Hierarchical link: Medical field advisor
Functional link (if any): Project Manager, MHPSS referent in HQ
Other: he/she works in close collaboration with all member of the teams of MdM in Bulgaria
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Type of contract: One year contract with possibility of extension
- Rhythm: full-time position with possibility of partial home office
- Location: Sliven with occasional travels