National Network for Children calls the Social Services Law (SSL) to enter into force on July 1, 2020. This is an official address of the Network to MPs.
Refusing to do so will exacerbate the problems, and outdated legislation that cannot work in the long run will leave many children and families unsupported and alone, dooming them to live in poverty, and their parents will not recieve help because there will be fewer professionals and places to find it. Children’s homes – the so-called institutions – will not be closed, but will again be filled with more than 30,000 children, as it was before 2010.
“However, the law becomes a victim of propaganda and misinformation, which not only spreads freely, but also successfully influences the Bulgarian Parliament. We are witnessing another submitted proposal for another repeal of the entry into force of the SSL, and certain provisions of the law were referred to the Constitutional Court with allegations of unconstitutionality. The bending of the MPs in front of the fake news and manipulations is to the detriment of the society and escape from responsibility for the support of the Bulgarian family “, said the address.
In its address to the MPs, National Network for Children recalls five commitments of the state, which it has undertaken for children and parents, and which can be fulfilled immediately with the new regulation:
- Support for every child and every family;
- Support for children and families living in poverty and combating poverty and social exclusion;
- Protecting children left without care with the understanding that the family is the best environment for the child;
- Preventing violence against children;
- Accessibility, efficiency and quality of social services.