Purpose of the consultancy:
UNICEF Bulgaria is looking for a Consultant to support UNICEF program interventions in the area of early childhood development and inclusive early childhood education.
In close collaboration with UNICEF ECD Officer and UNICEF Education Officer the Consultant will be responsible for the following main tasks:
1. Evidence generation, capacity development and data collection on ECD: provision of technical support and input for the design, planning and implementation of planned surveys relating to the situation of children in early childhood, as well as children with disabilities, document the methodology and the findings of the study on effectiveness of the demonstration home visiting service in Sliven, carried out in 2015-2017 based on available documentation and analysis, draft parenting materials on child development, others.
2. Support, coordination and documentation of an approach for inclusive early childhood education tested through the initiative “Together from the kindergarten”: support the documenting of an inclusive ECE approach which is being implemented in pilot kindergartens under the initiative “Together from the kindergarten”; support drafting of methodological documents/ guidelines to support the implementation of inclusive practices under the initiative “Together from the kindergarten”; support (including through supervision and provision of guidance and technical assistance) all partners to build local capacities and develop mechanisms to coordinate, implement and sustain inclusive practices (kindergartens, Regional Inclusive Education Support Centers, representatives of the Regional Education Units, local authorities, training organisations, etc), others;
A full Terms of Reference of this consultancy is available for further reference.
Required education, experience and competencies:
The successful candidate is expected to have the following competencies:
:: Master’s degree or higher in one or more of the following areas: pre-school pedagogy (early education), pedagogy, special pedagogy, child psychology or other relevant field.
:: Excellent understanding of the contemporary conceptual framework on ECD.
:: Excellent understanding of the national policy framework and institutional arrangements relating to early education and care.
:: Excellent understanding of the national policy framework on inclusive education, as well as the challenges of inclusion of children with disabilities in the public system for pre-school and school education;
:: Experience in project management;
:: Ability to work under pressure; good negotiation, communication and presentation skills. Pro-activity and strong orientation towards results;
:: Ability to work independently;
:: Ability to manage partnerships across diversity of stakeholders;
:: Respect for cultural diversity and human rights;
:: Fluency of English language will be an advantage.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit in English:
1) Cover letter;
2) Detailed curriculum Vitae;
3) Financial proposal, including consultancy fee per day (excluding travel);
The applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: (consultancy).
Start date of consultancy: 15 July, 2017
End date consultancy: 31st of December, 2017
The selection will be done through review of the applications based on the following main criteria:
1. Relevant education.
2. Professional experience in one or more areas relevant to ECD (early education, early intervention and support for children with developmental delays/disabilities, parenting support.
3. Understanding of inclusive early education policies and practices.
Deadline for applications: 12 July 2017, COB