Context of intervention
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
MdM France has been present in Bulgaria since 2004 (a Roma health mediator programme in Sliven, with a specific focus on sexual and reproductive healthcare), and is recognized on local and national level.
MdM France is also currently implementing a migrants/refugees’ health project in the country. The aims of the project is to provide information and orientation for migrants, asylum seekers and refugees on their basic rights, with a major focus on access to healthcare. This project is part of a multi-regional program launched for one year in 11 countries, funded by the European Union and the Crisis centre of the French Ministry of foreign affairs.
Within the framework of this project, we seek:
1 FIELD CORDINATOR – SOFIA
FULL TIME POSITION, BULGARIA
START PERIOD: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Purpose of the Position:
The Field Coordinator is responsible of the efficient implementation of the projects.
S/he ensures the coordination between the team (administration, logistic, health mediators), in order to guarantee that the objectives and results of the project are reached.
S/he preventively identifies issues that may impede the correct implementation of the projects.
This position is located in Sofia, and requires frequent travels to Elhovo and Haskovo Region.
• Management of operations and team
• Coordination with stakeholders
• Reporting and donor relations
Under the supervision of the Regional Coordinator, he/she will fulfil the following tasks:
A / Coordinate overall implementation of migrants/refugees’ project at field level
• To ensure the proper implementation of the project, in respect with the action plan and activity timetable (informative sessions towards migrants and health professionals, advocacy regarding access to General practitioners, realisation of specific documentation on access to healthcare, public awareness)
• To ensure operational compliance with MDM and donor policies and project objectives (DG Health and French Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
• To guarantee that the accomplishment of project objectives defined by the donors is fulfilled and that contractual obligations are respected
• To ensure MDM and donor financial and administrative compliance in the budgetary follow-up, with the substantive support from the administrative team based in Sofia and in Sliven
B / Administrative, HR and logistics supervision
• To manage and supervise the project team composed of national staff (4 health mediators, 1 driver/logistician, translators if needed)
• To define collective and individual objectives and goals for the team
• To participate to recruitments, briefings and follow-up
C / Coordination with stakeholders
• To carry out negotiations and maintain regular relations with the national authorities (State Agency for refugees, Ministry of Interior, Health Ministry, Agency for social assistance), local authorities (Municipalities and regional health inspectors) and other stakeholders (NGOs, Donors, Embassies)
• To participate to the different coordination meetings (in particular the national coordination mechanism on migrants chaired by the state agency for refugees)
• To negotiate agreements with the national and local authorities regarding the implementation of the activities in the reception and registration centres, as well as in the detention centres and in Zhenski Pazar.
• To facilitate the coordination with health professionals working in different facilities (open / detention centres) and medical actors (general practitioners)
• To ensure submission of appropriate, timely, high quality report
• To send bi-weekly reports to HQ
• To send monthly Situation reports (SITREP) to the Consortium
E / Communication
• To ensure smooth communication flows between the field team, the Regional coordinator, the Consortium team (located in the HQ), and with the team located in Sliven
• To represent MdM to authorities, UN, NGOs at field and national level
• To supervise the organisation of visits to the field for representatives of the head office and ensures their management (reception, introduction to different people involved…)
F / Security and context follow up
• Responsible for the security / safety of the project team, with the support of the administrative-logistic coordinator
• To regularly review the analysis of the context and of security & safety conditions
• To ensure security incidents are reported to HQ
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Note: the Field Coordinator will have to travel regularly within Bulgaria and potentially to other neighboring countries.
– Significant experience in project coordination in NGOs
– Fluency in written and spoken Bulgarian language, as well as English, is mandatory
– French, Arabic, Turkish or other languages are an asset
– Ability to have a global overview of a program
– Knowledge of public health / social work issues
– Experience in management
– Experience in reporting for institutional donors
– Fair knowledge of Windows environment (MS Word, MS Excel)
– Experience in communication tools would be an asset
– Experience in the context of migration in Europe would be an asset
Personal skills required:
– Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team
– Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
– Organizational skills
– Good writing and communication skills
– Team spirit
If you are interested, please send your CV to MdM at email@example.com, clearly mentioning the position tittle in the subject line of your email, those applicants who will not specify the job title in their email’s subject will not be entertained.
Last date for CV submission is April, 18th, 2016.